World Book Day
In case you haven’t heard, it’s World Book Day! A time when we all set aside our iPads and Kindles to pick up a real, live book. (Although, I’m not against reading books electronically at all…)
For all you bookworms out there, World Book Day is the perfect excuse to celebrate your favorite pastime! Whether you’re a fan of mystery novels, romance novels, biographies, or any other genre, there’s something out there for everyone. So dust off your old copies of “The Catcher in the Rye” and “Pride and Prejudice,” and get ready to spend the day lost in a good book!
History of World Book Day
World Book Day has been celebrated annually on April 23rd since 1995. It was created as a way to promote reading and publishing, as well as to honor the memory of William Shakespeare and Miguel de Cervantes, two of the world’s most renowned authors. Every year, World Book Day events are held in over 100 countries around the globe. In recent years, the holiday has gained even more popularity due to social media campaigns and celebrity endorsements.
There are many ways to celebrate World Book Day. Some people choose to spend the day reading their favorite books, while others use it as an opportunity to discover new authors and genres. Many schools and libraries host special events, such as book fairs and storytime sessions. No matter how you choose to celebrate, World Book Day is a great excuse to curl up with a good book!
1. World Book Day has been celebrated annually on April 23 since 1995.
2. The day was created to encourage people of all ages to celebrate reading.
3. World Book Day is an initiative of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
4. Every year, a different country is selected to be the World Book Capital.
5. In 2012, the city of Madrid, Spain was named the World Book Capital.
6. On World Book Day, people around the world are encouraged to read for pleasure and enjoyment.
7. Every year, a different theme is chosen for World Book Day.
8. The theme for 2018 is “Share a Story”.
9. World Book Day is an excellent opportunity to celebrate the joys of reading with people of all ages.
How to celebrate World Book Day?
There are many ways to celebrate World Book Day. Here are a few ideas:
1. Spend the day reading your favorite books.
2. Use it as an opportunity to discover new authors and genres.
3. Attend special events at your local library or bookstore.
4. Give a book as a gift to someone you know.
5. Share your favorite books on social media using the hashtag #WorldBookDay.
6. Most importantly, have fun!
No matter how you choose to celebrate, World Book Day is a great excuse to curl up with a good book!
What to give to your friend?
1. A book that you know they will love
2. A book from their favorite author
3. A book that you think they would enjoy
4. A classic book that they haven’t read yet
5. A new release that they’ve been wanting to read
6. A personalized bookplate
7. A bookmark with a quote from their favorite book
8. A gift certificate to their favorite bookstore
9. A set of book-themed stationery
10. A mug or t-shirt with a bookish design
11 A book that they’ve been wanting to read
12 A classic novel
13 A beautiful hardcover edition of a favorite book
14. A book-themed gift, such as a bookmark or tote bag
Whatever you choose, your friend is sure to appreciate the thoughtfulness of your gift!
In case you look for a book day for kids then think about International Children’s Book Day which is held on the 2nd of April.
World Book Day is a day to celebrate reading, publishing, and the importance of books in our lives. It’s an opportunity to pick up a new book or rediscover an old favorite. Whether you spend the day reading, attending special events, or sharing your love of books with others, make sure to have fun and enjoy the joys of reading!